This box contains everything you need to turn your computer into a powerful 24-bit/192 kHz digital audio workstation. As a “hybrid” audio interface, the 16A offers flexible connectivity to your computer via ultra-fast Thunderbolt™ technology or class compliant, hi-speed USB 2.0, with 32 channels of pristine analog I/O, combined with 32 channels of digital I/O, for a total of 64 simultaneous audio channels.
The 16A is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or without a computer. As an interface, standalone mixer or patchbay, the 16A provides 32 separate inputs and 32 separate outputs, including sixteen balanced TRS analog inputs, sixteen balanced TRS analog outputs, and two 8-channel banks of ADAT optical digital I/O.
Connect all of your studio gear, including synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Record, monitor, route and process all of these live inputs using the professional on-board digital mixer — with no latency and no processor strain on your computer. Apply hardware DSP-driven effects processing to inputs, outputs, and busses independent of your host computer. Add Classic Reverb™ with lengths up to 60 seconds. Further sculpt your sound with gating, 4-band parametric EQ, and vintage compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A™ leveling amplifier.
Add more MOTU interfaces as your needs grow, connected to a state-of-the-art audio network using standard AVB Ethernet switches and CAT-5e cabling, with near-zero network latency, even over long cable runs (several hundred meters). Record and monitor up to 128 audio channels in and out, simultaneously, to a host computer through Thunderbolt. Route hundreds of audio channels among multiple devices and computers on the network.
Control all DSP-based mixing and effects, device settings, and network audio routing using your favorite web browser running on your laptop, tablet or smart phone connected wirelessly or locally to the 16A audio network.
From initial tracking to final mastering, the 16A delivers superb sound quality, state-of-the-art operation, and reliable performance.
- Superb audio quality — For example, the balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- 64 simultaneous audio channels — Sixteen balanced/unbalanced TRS analog inputs and outputs, plus 2 x 8-channel ADAT optical ports for 32 inputs and 32 outputs.
- Universal connectivity — Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0). USB audio class-compliant firmware and Industry standard drivers work with any audio software.
- On-board 32-bit floating point DSP with large console style mixing and effects — Flexible 48-input digital mixer with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb with sends, plus modeled analog EQ and compression, gate, and reverb.
- System expansion and audio networking — Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Matrix routing and splitting — Flexible, matrix-style audio routing and splitting for any analog or digital input, computer channel or network stream to any other output, computer, or network device. Split any single input to unlimited multiple output destinations.
- Web app control — Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control — Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 16A with a standard Ethernet cable and control the 16A's powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing.