The second product of the sE / Rupert Neve collaboration, work on the RN17 began with a discussion between Rupert and Siwei Zou on the merits and problems of small-diaphragm condensers.
According to Siwei, "The SDC's problem is that they have a very clear sound - the SPL is high, but the sound is very cold, not like with a large diaphragm. The quality of the transformer can make the sound much, much better - but with a small transformer, nobody can do it."
THE SMALL DIAPHRAGM
With a 15mm diaphragm (the world's smallest production gold-sputtered diaphragm), the transient response of the RN17 is unparalleled. Such a small capsule reacts extremely quickly, and is therefore adept at picking up the most delicate of high-frequency content. However, a tiny diaphragm usually results in a lack of low-frequency response. How to counter this?
THE MASSIVE TRANSFORMER
Made obvious by the unusual chassis shape, the RN17's transformer is substantially larger than the norm. This full-scale transformer was custom-designed by Rupert Neve specifically for this microphone - and nobody has been designing audio transformers longer (or better) than Rupert Neve. With an audio transformer of this magnitude, the RN17 is able to put out astonishing clarity across ALL frequencies - not just the highs. The midrange is detailed and forward, the lows are full and accurate, and the whole microphone has a balance and headroom never before achieved with a small-diaphragm condenser mic.
MATTE BLACK FINISH
The matte black finish minimizes the level of visual attention drawn to the microphone when used on stage or in the studio, allowing it to blend into the background.
The RN17 ships with a cardioid capsule, but the wooden box has room for additional capsules in the form of omni, hypercardioid, and figure-8. These capsules can be utilized for enhanced room sound (omni), greater side rejection (hypercardioid), or mid-side recording techniques (figure-8).
CUSTOM SHOCK MOUNT
Every RN17 includes a custom-designed, sturdy, protective, and easy-to-use shock mount, which is essential to reducing the unwanted effects of vibration or knocks to the supporting microphone stand.
sE Electronics RN17 Specifications
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure condenser
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kOhm: -44.5±0.5dBV/ Pa(6mV/Pa)
- Rated impedance: 200 Ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kOhm
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR*: 23 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted*: 18 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR* (rel. 94 dB SPL): 69 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted* (rel. 94 dB SPL): 74 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%**: 150 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 4V
- Dynamic range of the microphone amplifier (A-weighted): 131 dB
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3mA
- Matching connectors: XLR3F
- Weight: 248 g
- Diameter: 44 mm
- Length: 200 mm
- sE RN-17
- Cardioid capsule
- Handmade wood box
- Shock mount