The Delphos® II is a premium studio condenser microphone, featuring unhyped and natural frequency response, very high sensitivity, and very low self-noise. It has 3 polar patterns (True Cardioid, Omni, Figure 8) and a switchable 10dB pad.
The Delphos II is an upgrade to the original Delphos, which helped establish Roswell as a source for no-compromise studio microphones -- devices that regularly compete with and best competitive models that cost three times as much, or more.
The microphone uses a highly optimized transformerless circuit, which provides a pristine signal path. The microphone's circuit boards are manufactured and populated in the US, using the finest components sourced from around the world, including low-noise NOS transistors and custom US-made signal capacitors.
Two switches located on the front of the microphone provide pattern control and pad features. The mic's "True Cardioid" mode increases sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratio by removing the capsule's rear diaphragm from the circuit.
Each Delphos II is built in California, hand-tuned, "burned in," and extensively tested after manufacturing to ensure the best possible performance.
The microphone is painted with a multi-stage enamel finish. The color is dark blue metallic. The ROSWELL logo nameplate is embossed brass.
The mic's Cutaway™ Shockmount allows the microphone to be easily positioned close to a singer or instrument without mount hardware standing in the way. This allows you to take advantage of the microphone's natural proximity effect.
The Delphos II includes the Cutaway Shockmount, a Roswell branded microfleece mic sock, and a flight case.
- Hand-selected large-diaphragm condenser capsule captures detail and articulation
- Ultra-pristine transformerless circuit reduces noise and distortion
- Upgraded DC circuitry eliminates ultrasonic noise
- True Cardioid mode increases signal to noise ratio
- Omni pattern reduces proximity effect naturally
- NOS parts capture vintage FET sound
- Custom metallic enamel finish provides durable good looks
- Extensive QA/QC procedure ensures that every Delphos II sounds fantastic
The transistors in the Delphos II are all NOS parts, no longer made but ideal for this circuit. The JFET is selected for low input capacitance, then manually biased in our shop to maximize signal level without distortion.
Every resistor in both the audio circuit is a low-noise, high-precision metal film type. Special care was taken to select signal-path capacitors for the best sound. The components in the DC circuit were also selected by ear.
- Model: Delphos II
- Acoustic Principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Capsule: Selected 34mm large-diaphragm design
- Diaphragm: Gold-plated, ultra thin Mylar
- Frequency Range: 20 - 16,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: 35 mV/Pa
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Signal-to-noise: >82 dBA
- Equivalent noise: <12dBA
- Supply voltage: 48±4 VDC
- Output: Electronically balanced (transformerless)
- Physical dimensions: 208 × 60mm; 850g (mic only)