It’s not your grandpa’s ‘76.
Seventeen 500 is Black Lion’s 500-series spin on what the classic ’76 compressor could have been. Featuring a redesigned and improved IC-based front end, Seventeen 500 renders incredible detail and nuance normally not possible with a ‘76-style comp—while adding some features unavailable on original ‘76s.
What makes Seventeen 500 different?
First, Seventeen 500 features a new IC-based front-end circuit not found in classic ‘76 compressors. It provides a clean, punchy, modern sound under light compression and a more colorful vintage character when pushed. That front-end, when coupled with our custom-designed Black Lion output transformer, is why Seventeen delivers a huge bottom end that balances out its open top end very nicely. All told, Seventeen 500 is capable of delivering a broader tonal palette than original ‘76s.
Seventeen 500 features BLA’s proprietary Black Lion-style power decoupling for an incredibly low noise floor. It also uses high-grade Nichicon signal capacitors, widely considered some of the highest quality caps available, reducing the noise floor even further.
Seventeen 500 also includes the all-important stereo link function.
Last but not least—yes, it does “all-buttons-in” mode, and we’ve made it much easier to engage multiple ratio controls simultaneously than on classic models.
- 500-series version of Black Lion Audio’s take on the classic ’76 FET compressor/limiter
- Improved and redesigned IC-based front end delivers:
- Clean, punchy, modern sound under light compression
- Colorful vintage character when pushed
- Proprietary power decoupling for an impressively low noise floor
- Employs high-grade Nichicon signal capacitors
- Frequency-adjustable sidechain high-pass filter
- Wet/Dry mix knob allows for parallel compression not available on vintage rackmount units