This 1073 based mic pre might be exactly what your mics and 500 series API Lunchbox are dreaming of!
The MA5 was created to fill the need for a high-quality microphone preamplifier with the characteristic sound of early ‘70s British Class-A consoles. The re-engineering in the creation of the MA5 stemmed from years of experience restoring both American and British modules, deeply rooted in classic transformer-balanced, discrete electronics. Only the best and most suitable components are used throughout, regardless of cost, to attain the best sound.
Over a year was spent on the MA5- not only on the engineering side of the design, but also in extensive sound evaluation with observation of specific settings, gain structures, and key components.
We have always believed that our ears' sensitivity coupled with experienced judgment of sound is still unparalleled- even with some of the best audio test analyzers which we own and use. In the end, it is our ears we are trying to satisfy.
The MA5’s full and open sound is due to a rich harmonic content, particularly in the very low frequencies- even down to, and below, 10Hz. The clear mids and smooth highs come through without sounding dull or smeared.
Avedis Audio MA5 Features
- Standard 500 series modular size 1.5" x 5.25"
- Single-ended Class A amplifier
- UK-made Carnhill/St Ives input transformer
- Custom-designed Jensen output transformer
- Stepped-gain rotary switch in 5dB steps
- Output level pot for trim and mute
- LED-lit pushbuttons
- 28kHz feature brings out high frequency detail
- Custom-made Marconi-style knobs
- High headroom & CMR, low noise design
Avedis Audio MA5 Specifications
- Frequency Response <10Hz to -3dB at 67kHz
- Input Impedance ≅1250 ohms
- Output Impedance <75 ohms, bias variable
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio >100dB min @ 60Hz
- Maximum Output Level +32.2 dBu @ 100KΩ, +27 dBu @ 600Ω bias variable
- Power Requirements ±16 vdc @ 75mA per rail
- Gain Voltage 0 to 33.4 Volts
- Gain dB 0 to 71.2 dB
- Equivalent Input Noise -110 dBu; Unweighted 300kHz bandwidth
- Weight 2.7 lbs / 1.13kg