The Telefunken ELA M 250/251 was made for Telefunken by AKG after Neumann discontinued its OEM production of the Telefunken U-47. The Golden Age Premier GA-251 is inspired by this truly classic mic model.
The GA-251 shares the same design goal that was set for the GA-47: to offer the classic qualities and advantages that a vintage unit in perfect condition would provide and doing so at a very low price point.
Having gone through a number of prototypes that was compared to great sounding vintage units in different recording settings, everyone involved agreed that the goal was reached.
- High End, no compromise components and build quality
- Hand Made in small series, 50 units at a time
- Capsules selected with very tight tolerances
- Point-to point wiring with silver-plated wires, no printed circuit board used
- All soldering points made with Mudorf Msolder Supreme SilverGold solder (Sn88, 6Cu, 1,8Ag, 9,5Au
- Solid wood microphone box, tweed style system flight case. Every mic, box and psu has a badge with the serial number.
Mic body and grille
The mic body is made of brass, the grille is made of iron.
The grille, which is a critical component affecting the sound character, is similar to the one in the 251.
The GA-251 uses a 34 mm K251 style capsule. Being a dual-sided one, it provides both cardioid and omni polar patterns.
In order to get a good consistency between units, for each production run of 50 pcs GA-251 units, approximately 200 capsules is evaluated in order to find 50 capsules with specifications that lie within the tight tolerances.
- Backplate material: brass
- Capsule diameter: 34 mm
- Membrane diameter: 34 mm
- Membrane material: 6 micron gold-coated mylar.
- The sensitivity of the front and back side of the capsule do not differ more than 0,3 dB. The sensitivity between different capsules do not differ more than 0,5 dB.
- The tight manufacturing tolerance will lead to a very good consistency between different GA-251 units.
- The capsule is specially designed to complement the electronic circuit of the GA-251 to achieve a frequency response curve with a nice balance between the high, middle and low frequencies.
- The result is a very smooth sound with a warm bottom and airy top end just like ELA M251.