Golden Age Project GA-251
Large Diaphragm Tube Microphone, Based on ELA M 251, Cardioid and Omni Selectable Patterns, Includes PSU, Cable, Shock Mount and Tweed Suitcase
Pay over time with , apply during checkout.
Stock Item: Ships from our shelf quickly in almost all cases when ordered before our ship cutoff times.
Direct Ship: Non-stock item, but normally ships quickly from the manufacturer or alternate warehouse.
Built To Order: Item is custom built per the options chosen and quickly shipped out upon completion.
Visit our Shipping Page for cutoff times for FREE (USA), USPS or FedEx.
|Pre-order now for estimated 30th Nov 2018 ship date. We will not officially charge your payment until shipment is confirmed.|
The Telefunken ELA M 250/251 was made for Telefunken by AKG after Neumann discontinued its OEM production of the Telefunken U-47. The Golden Age Premier GA-251 is inspired by this truly classic mic model.
The GA-251 shares the same design goal that was set for the GA-47: to offer the classic qualities and advantages that a vintage unit in perfect condition would provide and doing so at a very low price point.
Having gone through a number of prototypes that was compared to great sounding vintage units in different recording settings, everyone involved agreed that the goal was reached.
- High End, no compromise components and build quality
- Hand Made in small series, 50 units at a time
- Capsules selected with very tight tolerances
- Point-to point wiring with silver-plated wires, no printed circuit board used
- All soldering points made with Mudorf Msolder Supreme SilverGold solder (Sn88, 6Cu, 1,8Ag, 9,5Au
- Solid wood microphone box, tweed style system flight case. Every mic, box and psu has a badge with the serial number.
Mic body and grille
The mic body is made of brass, the grille is made of iron.
The grille, which is a critical component affecting the sound character, is similar to the one in the 251.
The GA-251 uses a 34 mm K251 style capsule. Being a dual-sided one, it provides both cardioid and omni polar patterns.
In order to get a good consistency between units, for each production run of 50 pcs GA-251 units, approximately 200 capsules is evaluated in order to find 50 capsules with specifications that lie within the tight tolerances.
- Backplate material: brass
- Capsule diameter: 34 mm
- Membrane diameter: 34 mm
- Membrane material: 6 micron gold-coated mylar.
- The sensitivity of the front and back side of the capsule do not differ more than 0,3 dB. The sensitivity between different capsules do not differ more than 0,5 dB.
- The tight manufacturing tolerance will lead to a very good consistency between different GA-251 units.
- The capsule is specially designed to complement the electronic circuit of the GA-251 to achieve a frequency response curve with a nice balance between the high, middle and low frequencies.
- The result is a very smooth sound with a warm bottom and airy top end just like ELA M251.
Our ONE WITH EVERYTHING ZEN WARRANTY extends the standard manufacturer warranty by one year, see our ZEN WARRANTY page for details.