An affordable LA2A clone with all the bells and whistles, it does exactly what you expect at a fraction of the price!
You can hear the WA-2A in our Clipalator compressor folder now, go check it out: Clipalator Page
True to its inspiration; the WA-2A boasts an all tube, completely discrete signal path with through-hole component topology. It also features custom, large-core Cinemag input and output transformers, four premium vacuum tubes, and the legendary Kenetek opto-cell, considered by many to be the world’s finest.
No plug-in or other compressor type quite compares to the warm, forgiving, fluid qualities of this classic optical tube compressor. For decades, the renowned ‘2A type circuit has become the go-to device for seamlessly handling vocals, bass, and a wide variety of other instruments and program material in an effortlessly smooth way.
Releasing the WA-2A would be for nothing if we couldn’t make it affordable. Since the start of Warm Audio we have strived to give an unprecedented value to our customers, by putting high end audio within the reach of more people than ever before. This philosophy drives everything we do, and every product we offer. That’s why the WA-2A’s street price will be just $899 USD.
Welcome to the future of vintage!
Warm Audio WA-2A Quick Features
- CineMag transformers
- Tung-Sol and Electro-Harmonix tubes
- Kenetek T4B Opto Attenuator
- Stereo Linkable
- High frequency emphasis circuit brings extra control over bright vocals
- Switchable 115V / 230V internal power supply (standard IEC power cable style)
Warm Audio WA-2A Specifications
- Fully discrete signal path
- T4B socketed to allow for retro-fitting with vintage (or other) opto-cells
- XLR and TRS balanced line level inputs - 600 ohms impedance
- XLR and TRS balanced line level outputs - 600 ohms impedance
- Frequency Response +/- 1 dB, 15 Hz to 20kHz
- Gain 40 dB ±1dB
- Input Level +16 dB maximum
- Output Level +10 dB nominal, +16 dB maximum
- Distortion Less than 0.5% THD at ±10 dBm
- Noise 85 dB below +10 dBm output level
- Attack Time 10 milliseconds
- Release Time 0.06 seconds for 50% release; 0.5 to 5 seconds for complete release
- Meter shows both dB gain reduction and dB output
- Power 115/230 volts (switchable), 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions 19" Rackmount chassis, 2U. 19" x 7" x 3.5"
- Weight 12 lbs
What We Think
Pure and simple, Bryce has a hit on his hands with the WA-2A. Not only am I 100% pleased with the optical cell action of this unit, but his arguably gets closer in TONE than other clones costing twice as much. When pushed it delivers that "hair" harmonic content (ie distortion) that you expect from a good LA2A. The SIZE of the signal also is nice and fat, very full bottom end response that makes other units sound thin by comparison. The ease of use is exactly what you expect, dialing it in is a breeze for that smooth control that never grabs too quick or pumps. For vocals it's got it all, including a limit mode as well as a high frequency emphasis you can dial in to reign in presence on a bright vocal. High quality parts and a simple layout also make me think a very long life can be had with this still affordable rack piece.