As a cost-effective alternative to our full-featured Stereo and Surround Monitoring Controllers MTC 2381 and SMC 2489, the SPL volume controllers are dedicated solely to level control.
The Volume2 model is intended for stereo applications, while the Volume8 can control up to 8 channels. Both devices are designed with active circuitries to circumvent inevitable disadvantages of passive circuitries that result in impedance variation and therefore degraded linearity in frequency response.
Who needs analog level control?
Simply putmost DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) users. A majority of D/A converters and sound cards provide nothing in the way of analog level monitoring control, and this means the necessity of varying signal levels at the converter outputs. The result is a lowered bit rate in the monitoring signal, which can lead to commensurate loss of audio quality.
A further, very interesting application area is in the construction of a straight, audiophile-quality stereo playback chain, where the Volume2 is situated between the playback machine and either power amp and speakers or simply active speaker system. In such cases, the playback machine must offer analog outputs. This provides for minimal financial and electronic efforts through the most direct possible playback path.
Common AV receivers employ VCA and DAC components which tend to produce more distortions, or the signal runs through further AD/DA converters for the volume control. Thus especially with SACD or DVD-A sources, only a high-quality analog, direct control of the source output ensures an unimpaired playback of the original information.
The Volume2 is built only with analog circuitry and performance, and its high quality parts in sophisticated circuitry design are prerequisites to superior audio quality:
- High end volume potentiometer and illuminated mute switch from ALPS; the potentiometer controls signals directly (without VCA or DAC circuitry)
- Balanced XLR in- and outputs
- A high quality power supply with toroidal transformer
- Massive, 45 mm diameter aluminum knobs ensure consistent, refined handling
- The elegant, compact format housing (215 x 80 mm or 8.5 x 3.1 inch) allows for flexible desktop positioning near or under a computer monitor or generally saving space in positioning