Smooth tube compression and character make this 500 series two slot unit an easy reach in the studio!
The Retro Doublewide is a true variable-mu tube compressor module designed from the ground up for the 500 series. It's authentic Retro compression for the masses. The Doublewide delivers the tube compression sound you expect because it is exactly that. While not precisely like any other tube compressor, the Doublewide methodology takes after the Sta-Level. As such, it excels at processing delicate sources like bass and vocals. It's all Retro and is built with the same quality components in our U.S. shop alongside our other products.
The tubes and transformers in a fully complementary push-pull topology deliver sonic characteristics typical of a full sized tube compressor. The Doublewide incorporates four NOS 6BJ6 pentodes in two tube gain stages as well as two high-quality Cinemag transformers. Input and output are fully floating and transformer balanced for use with line level signals. A hard-wire bypass switch allows for quick evaluation of the compression signature. Compression attack and recovery times are continuously variable. Like the Sta-Level and 176, the Doublewide has two timing characteristic modes; Single and Double. Double mode provides a dynamic program-controlled attack and recovery timing. With these two modes, the Doublewide is versatile in the studio, with full control of weight and punch versus transparency.
The Doublewide is designed to provide the user with years of reliable service. Special circuitry eliminates excess current inrush and component stress when power is applied. Power required is 180 milliamps (6 watts), which is well within a two-slot power allowance. The stainless steel chassis provides good ventilated to minimize heat buildup. The tubes are self-biased and balanced without the need for user adjustments and there are no internal controls. A meter-zero adjustment is accessible from the side of the unit to compensate for tube variations. Tube replacement is straightforward and the tubes are readily available.
RETRO Instruments Doublewide Features
- Single channel Variable-Mu Tube Compression in a two-slot 500 series module
- Continuously variable input and output levels with fixed threshold
- Continuously variable attack and recovery time
- Single and Double time-constants
- Fully complementary push-pull signal path
- Cinemag transformer balanced, fully-floating Input and Output
- Hard wire bypass switch with gold-plated contacts
- Gold-plated edge card connections
- Stainless steel chassis construction
- Side-accessible meter zero trim
- Uses new-old-stock U.S. Tubes
- Authentic U.S.-made Simpson gain reduction meter.
- Hand built and tested in the U.S.
RETRO Instruments Doublewide Specifications
- 30dB of available gain reduction
- Signal to noise ratio greater than 76dB
- Flat frequency response within .5 dB from 20-20,000 Hz.
- Total harmonic distortion 1% or less from 0-25dB gain reduction
- Input Level –15 to +24dBm 600 Ohm Impedance
- Output Level –20 to +12dBm 600 Ohm Impedance
- Power consumption 180ma (6 watts)
- Tube complement 6BJ6 x 4