Reference-grade headphone amplifier with advanced C.A.S.T. cable management, battery power, and switchable power modes
The Ultimate Headphone Monitoring Tool For Tracking And Mixing
N22H is the ultimate tool for engineers and musicians looking to upgrade their headphone monitoring with a high-quality, reference-grade headphone amplifier capable of letting any pair of headphones shine.
N22H is a standalone, reference-quality headphone amplifier that you can use during mixing or mastering, but with its rugged steel enclosure and compact form factor, it’s also the ideal portable headphone amplifier that can be positioned next to the performer at the end a single shielded Cat 5e, Cat 6, or Cat 7 cable using Cranborne Audio’s unique C.A.S.T. system.
Reference-Quality Headphone Amplifier
Based on the same custom design found in Cranborne Audio’s renowned 500R8 interface, N22H’s headphone amplifier achieves a flat Frequency Response from 0.8Hz to above 250kHz and ultra-low distortion (0.0009% THD+N, 100 kOhm load) allowing it to power headphones with clean, transparent power during critical listening, mixing, and mastering. There’s also enough power (up to 950mW per-ear) to drive headphones at high-volumes during tracking - perfect for loud drummers!
With carefully calibrated High and Low Power Modes, N22H can be quickly optimised for maximum performance with high-impedance over-ear headphones or low-impedance in-ears at a flick of a switch. A custom logarithmic Headphone Level control also allows for precise control of the headphone output without big shifts in volume during small adjustments.
N22H can be powered using the included 9V DC power supply as well as any 3rd party 9v DC (centre negative) guitar pedal power supply. It can also be powered using a 9v battery for up to 10 hours of headphone amplification in Low Power Mode during tracking and location recording where power isn’t available nearby.
Advanced Connectivity With C.A.S.T.
Using Cranborne Audio’s C.A.S.T. system, N22H can be effortlessly positioned where it is needed using a single shielded Cat 5e, Cat 6, or Cat 7 cable. With a range of 330ft/100m, N22H and C.A.S.T. is the ideal solution for convenient headphones distribution as well as a connectivity hub for mic/line sources as an all-analogue, Cat 5e snake.
Cranborne Audio’s C.A.S.T. system (Cat 5 Analogue Snake Transport) distributes analogue audio (including 48V phantom power) around studios and stages using affordable shielded Cat 5e, Cat 6, and Cat 7 cabling - achieving the highest sonic results with the lowest cost.
Connect N22H to Cranborne Audio’s passive N22 using a single shielded Cat 5e, Cat 6, or Cat 7 cable and you can send a headphone mix directly into N22H's headphone amplifier over a distance of 330ft/100m. You can then connect mic/line signals directly to N22H’s combi-jack inputs and they will travel through the same C.A.S.T. connection and arrive at N22’s XLR outputs ready to be connected to your audio interface for recording.
If your studio is already built around a Cranborne Audio C.A.S.T. enabled device, N22H can connect directly into their C.A.S.T. inputs or outputs and send/receive audio directly with the device without the need for other hardware or complex analogue multicores.
A Palm-Sized Headphone Powerhouse
N22H is the perfect tool for those already building their studio around Cranborne Audio products and looking to create an unmatched audio distribution system in their studio, but it’s also the perfect way to get a bit of Cranborne Audio’s renowned sound into any studio in the form of a portable and powerful reference-grade headphone amplifier.
- Two balanced combi jack inputs
- Two balanced XLR and 1/4” jack outputs
- Fully supports 48v phantom power
- Reference-quality headphone amplifier
- THD+N: <0.0009% (-100.4dB) @ +6dBu, 1kHz, A-weighted, 100 kOhm load
- Output Wattage (1kHz): 252mW x 2 @ 600 ohms, 502mW x 2 @ 220 ohms, 950mW x 2 @ 100 ohms, 470mW x 2 @ 32 ohms
- Frequency Response: 1dB, <0.8Hz to >200kHz
- Switchable High and Low Power Modes
- High Power optimised for maximum power and performance for high-impedance, over-ear, and open back mixing/mastering headphones
- Low Power optimised for maximum battery life for low-impedance, in-ears and closed back tracking headphones
- 9V Battery compartment
- Up to ~10 hours battery life (Low Power Mode)
- Up to ~2 hours Battery life (High Power Mode)
- 9V DC Power Inlet
- Includes a 9V DC (centre negative) power supply
- Can be powered with any 3rd party 9v DC (centre negative) guitar pedal power supply (1000mA supply recommended)
- C.A.S.T IN RRTT Port
- For connecting to the C.A.S.T. Output of N22 or other C.A.S.T. enabled devices
- C.A.S.T OUT TTRR Port
- For connecting to the C.A.S.T. Input of 500R8, 500ADAT or other C.A.S.T. enabled devices
- Cat5 snake connectivity with N22 or second N22H
- Compatible with any shielded Cat 5e/Cat 6/Cat 7 cable with distances up to 100m/330ft
- Improved crosstalk performance with high-performance Cat 6 and Cat 7 (recommended)
- Ruggedised metal enclosure
- Fixing holes for permanent installation
- Cable-tie holes for cable management
- Non-slip rubber feet
- ⅜” mic stand thread mount on bottom