Hot output, high detail and presence make this ribbon mic unique with its own "finished" sound!
The AEA N22 was designed with the singer-songwriter musician in mind. Hard working artists, honing their musical craft for many years, feel strongly about their personal tone, so they need a microphone that translates their signature sound in a recording. The N22 delivers on exactly those key points - providing a great ribbon tone without the need for EQ in most applications. Most importantly, the N22 was designed by listening first, and measuring only after experienced musicians told us the microphone sounded great.
Bridging the gap between vintage and modern, ribbon and condenser, studio and live, the N22 is the perfect companion for musicians and engineers alike.
What is under the hood?
Featuring the same Big Ribbon technology that has earned AEA its reputation, the N22 offers an incredible sound in close-mic applications like acoustic and electric guitars, piano, vocals, and drums. With phantom-powered JFET electronics and a custom German transformer the N22 achieves optimal performance with a wide range of preamps including USB or Firewire audio interfaces in home studio setups. The highly protected pure aluminum ribbon allows for using the N22 in live sound applications and vocal recording without the need for an additional pop-filter. At well under $1,000 street price it delivers a handcrafted US-made microphone built to last a lifetime.
About the NUVO Series
The N22 is the first member of AEA's NUVO series of microphones. Rooted in the RCA tradition just like other AEA ribbons, all NUVO microphones are designed to offer a fresh approach to the ribbon transducer and represent Wes Dooley's take on the evolution of the ribbon microphone.
N22 Nuvo Features
- Specifically designed for singer-songwriters, musicians, and home studios.
- Bridging the gap between the top end clarity of a condenser and the classic tone of a ribbon.
- Phantom-powered electronics for optimal performance with any preamp.
- Highly protected ribbon for close-up use and live sound applications.
- Featuring the same Big Ribbon technology as the AEA R44 and R84 microphones.
- 100% handcrafted in Pasadena, CA.
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional
- Frequency Range: < 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 141 dB SPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 6.2 mV/Pa (at 1 kHz, no load)
- Rated Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Rated Load Impedance: 1.0 k Ω or greater
- Phantom power: P48 phantom power, 7 mA
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure at the front of the microphone.
- Off Axis Response: Bidirectional. Level changes with angle of incidence, but frequency response is consistent. Up to 90 dB rejection at 90 / 270 degrees
- Material: Pure aluminum corrugated ribbon
- Thickness: 1.8 μm
- Width: 0.185 in (4.7 mm)
- Length: 2.35 in (59.7 mm)
- Height: 8.83 in (32.4 cm)
- Width: 1.62 in (11.7 cm)
- Depth: 1.62 in (9.5 cm)
- Weight: 12 oz (335 g)
- Shipping weight: 1 lb 13 oz (810 g)
- Connector: XLR-3M