This is the limited edition Distressed Rose finish.
The R-122V is the pinnacle of our R-Series line, a world class tube ribbon microphone exhibiting unparalleled richness, depth and detail, particularly in the midrange frequencies. With a lushness that has to be heard to be truly appreciated, the R-122V offers the ultimate in ribbon microphone performance for those who insist on the very best.
The R-122V takes the Royer-pioneered concept of active ribbon microphone technology to an unprecedented level by incorporating vacuum tube electronics into the same proven transducer system used in the venerable R-121 and R-122 ribbon microphones. The high operating voltage of the vacuum tube provides headroom far beyond that available from a standard phantom power supply. Sonically this translates into unmatched clarity, detail and airiness, along with the ability to handle brute SPL levels without flinching.
The R-122V's head amplifier consists of a low-noise, triode-connected military grade 5840 vacuum tube. Designed for a wide range of applications, the R-122V offers superb transient response and the drive capabilities only a vacuum tube head amplifier can provide. The circuit is devoid of typical vacuum tube coloration.
The R-122V's triode-configured cathode follower circuitry enables the microphone to drive long cable runs without sonic degradation or high-frequency loss. This capability is further enhanced by the R-122V's dedicated power supply, which provides ample current to the vacuum tube electronics. Induced noise is virtually eliminated by the microphone's fully balanced output, which is electrically isolated with a special purpose Jensen output transformer.
Like our phantom powered R-122, the R-122V has far more level than non-powered ribbon microphones and its impedance matching circuitry places a perfect load on the ribbon element at all times. This allows the use of a wide variety of mic preamps without concern for gain and impedance matches, two critical issues with ribbon microphones. All of the R122V's increased output comes from its large, specially designed toroidal transformer, so there is no additional noise associated with the microphone's higher output.
Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
The R-122's proprietary offset ribbon transducer (Patent Number: 6,434,252) positions the ribbon element closer to the front (logo) side of the microphone than the rear. This arrangement gives the ribbon more room to move within the prime magnetic field while maintaining full frequency response during high SPL recordings. It's an integral piece of the magic of all Royer R-series microphones.
Royer Labs R-122V Features
- Vacuum tube electronics provide high output capability, optimal impedance to the ribbon element and low output impedance
- Extremely low self-noise
- Operates from a dedicated power supply
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion instruments
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, "ringing" and phase shifts
- Ribbon element unaffected by impedance/load, heat or humidity
- Very low magnetic leakage
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Rear side of mic records slightly brighter when three feet or closer to sound source
Royer Labs R-122V Specifications
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient with vacuum tube
- Vacuum Tube: JAN mil-spec 5840W pentode wired in triode configuration
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -36 dB (re. 1v/pa +/- 1 dB)
- Self-Noise: < 18 dB
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms, balanced
- Rated Load Impedance: 1 K-Ohm