Pay over time with , apply during checkout.
Stock Item: Ships from our shelf quickly in almost all cases when ordered before our ship cutoff times.
Direct Ship: Non-stock item, but normally ships quickly from the manufacturer or alternate warehouse.
Built To Order: Item is custom built per the options chosen and quickly shipped out upon completion.
Visit our Shipping Page for cutoff times for FREE (USA), USPS or FedEx.
A big, sensitive ribbon mic with hot output ready to take your tracks to the next level!
With the release of the A440, AEA has synthesized more than 30 years of experience with high performance microphones. The A440 is the quietest ribbon microphone ever produced. The A440 combines all the warmth and beauty of the classic 44, both sonically and visually, but with a signal so hot you'll have to try it to believe it. Like the rest of AEA's Big Ribbon Mics™, it needs little EQ, takes it nicely when you want it, and is free of resonances in audible range. The A440 is unlike any other product on the market today and no professional studio should be without one.
Like its cousin, the R44CX, The A440 is based on the RCA 44BX, but is phantom powered and uses a Lundahl transformer. It uses the same RCA NOS ribbon element, only 1.8 microns thick, which is from material originally manufactured for RCA. It also features the museum quality shell with a durable bronze investment cast yoke. An umber paint with red medallion transformer case and bright nickel finishes with polished brass accents is standard. The microphone package includes a three meter cloth covered Accusound Silver Triplex cable, a zippered canvas bag, and AEA 44VC case for proper shipping and storage.
The A440, like the rest of AEA's maufactured product lines, is manufactured and assembled in the U.S.A.
- Phantom powered Big Ribbon™microphone
- JFET active electronics in the AEA TRP tradition
- Exceptionally low equivalent noise level 6 dB(A)
- Long ribbon sound in the 44 tradition
- Authentic RCA New Old Stock ribbon material
- Investment castbronze yoke and machined brass parts, no zinc
- Single-diaphragm with well-controlled,native figure-8 polar pattern
- Consistent horizontal polar response, on and off axis
- 90º null-plane helps reject difficult acoustics
- High SPL capability: 132.5 dB with a load of 1 k Ohm
- Hand built to order
- Computer matched to production reference standards
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 132.5 dB SPL with a 1 kΩ load for < 1% THD
- Output Sensitivity: 30 mV (-33.5 dBV) /Pa 1 Pa = 94 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range: 126.5 dB
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 88 dB (A) (94 dB SPL minus equivalent
- Output Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load: 1 kΩ or greater
- Powering: P48 phantom power, 9 mA
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on the front of the microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 meter captive cable
- Polar Pattern: Native Figure-8 (Bi-Directional)
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, null at right angles to major axis 90°/ 270°
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0°/ 180° axis, null at right angles to major axis 90°/ 270
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 4.7 mm
- Ribbon Length: 59.7 mm
Our ONE WITH EVERYTHING ZEN WARRANTY adds a full year to the standard manufacturer warranty at no charge, see our ZEN WARRANTY page for details.