The Warm Audio gang strikes again with their emulation of a classic at a fraction of the price!
What We Do
- Replace factory output transformers with the TAB Funkenwerk T13
- Pair of WA-87 microphones
- TAB Funkenwerk T13 transformers installed at ZenPro
- Pair of shock mounts
- Pair of hard mounts
- Pair of wooden storage boxes
- Pair of Mogami premium microphone cables with gold connectors, up to 25 foot
The classic ‘87 is arguably the most widely-used large diaphragm condenser microphone in pop recording history. Rather than base our WA-87 circuit on current incarnations of this mic, we decided to closely follow the early circuit designs that date back nearly half a century. As is true with many classic microphones, engineers who have worked with different versions of these microphones often prefer the warmer, more forgiving nature of the earlier commercially available models. The desire to re-introduce the warm tone of this classic mic at an affordable price to an all new generation of recording artists was the inspiration behind the WA-87.
Quality components make a better mic.
The WA-87 features all discrete, premium components such as Fairchild FETs, tantalum, polystyrene, and WIMA film capacitors, and is rounded off with a Cinemag USA output transformer. The WA-87 proudly uses our own Lens Kondensator custom reproduction of the classic K-87 dual backplate/dual diaphragm capsule, as found in early ‘87 mics.
It all starts with the microphone.
The importance of a good microphone cannot be understated; but unfortunately, finding a truly great microphone within a budget has always been a challenge for aspiring engineers. There are very usable microphones available for those on a budget; but top shelf, classic studio microphones have simply been out of reach for most people. We applied all that we know about bridging this barrier into crafting a microphone that reaches the level of quality and sonics mostly found only in top shelf products, yet sells for a price that is down to earth.
- Microphone includes shock mount, hard mount and wood box.
- Microphone type: condenser
- Polar patterns: cardioid, figure of eight, and omnidirectional
- Capsule: LK-87-B-50V reproduction of classic dual backplate (four wire termination) K87 capsule
- Diaphragm: 6 micron thickness, 1 inch diameter, gold sputtered membrane
- Frequency Response: 20hz - 20khz
- SPL: .5% THD at 120db (without pad) or 130db (with pad)
- Pad: -10db
- Output: 150 ohms, 24k gold plated, 3 pin XLR (pin 1 = gnd, pin 2 = +, pin 3 = -), Cinemag USA mic output transformer
- High Pass Filter: 80hz
- Noise: 15db self noise, 80db s/n ratio
- Color: nickel (painted)