This incredible mic sounds great on its own, before you use the tools included to shape its sound into so many mics...including stereo!
The Sphere L22™ microphone system from Townsend Labs models the characteristics of the most sought-after large-diaphragm condenser microphones with amazing accuracy and allows selection of different mics and patterns even after tracking.
The Sphere® system consists of a high precision dual channel microphone, which when paired with the included Sphere plug-in (UAD, VST, AU, AAX Native) accurately models the response of a wide range of mics, including transient response, harmonics, proximity effect and three-dimensional polar response.
Sphere now supports AAX DSP, which means all owners of Avid HDX systems can now also enjoy guaranteed low-latency monitoring in Pro Tools. Whether you’ve been waiting for this all along or are learning about Sphere for the first time: it’s time to unlock the finest microphones in recording history on HDX. Sphere is the only microphone modeling solution for AAX DSP out there. Download the free software installer including AAX DSP and get started right away.
Please note: If you don’t use Pro Tools with an HDX card, you don’t necessarily need to update. If you have Sphere 1.2 then you already have all of the latest mic models and features. Just hang tight until the next update with new mic models is ready!
Which other platforms and DAWs are supported?
Apart from AAX DSP, Sphere has been supporting AAX Native, VST, AU, and UAD-2 since version 1.0. We strive to support as many platforms and plug-in formats as possible. Doing so, means that more people can use Sphere which helps grow the community, and allows us to focus on developing cool stuff that helps you make better recordings.
- Sphere L22 Microphone – high precision, dual-capsule, large-diaphragm condenser studio microphone, which can be used with or without modeling
- 10 Foot (3 Meter) Breakout Cable
- Shock Mount
- Swivel Mount
- Hard Carrying Case
- Plush Dust Cover
Now You Can
- Record with the sound of microphones many have only dreamt about
- Change mic type, polar pattern, and other microphone characteristics, even after tracking!
- Audition the sound of different microphones without tiring the vocalist
- Reduce bleed, undesirable room coloration, and other common issues using Off-Axis Correction™
- Record in stereo from a single microphone
Breakthrough Microphone Modeling Technology
Sphere’s three-dimensional approach captures the spatial nuances, proximity effect and off-axis frequency response of a wide range of microphones, which until now was not possible with any other product.
Access some of the most prized microphones of all time, including a 47 (with VF14 tube), a 67, an M49, and a C12.
Sphere L22 Microphone
The Sphere system employs the high-resolution, dual-channel L22 large-diaphragm condenser microphone, custom designed to capture the three-dimensional soundfield with exacting detail. Manufactured to extremely tight tolerances, the L22 ensures that modeling is consistent and accurate.
Realtime UAD Processing
With Universal Audio Apollo, achieve extremely low latency (approx. 1.6ms round trip at 96kHz) for guaranteed real-time performance. Also supports native AAX, VST and AU.
Polar Pattern Modeling
Because Sphere captures the three-dimensional response of target microphones, it precisely emulates the polar patterns and other off-axis characteristics of vintage microphones which are essential to their unique sound.
Re-Mic Sphere Tracks
Select mic type, polar pattern and other settings both before and after tracking.
Adjustable Proximity Effect
No need to move a microphone solely because of too little or too much bass due to proximity effect. Great for punching in a vocal where distance from the mic varies from take to take.
Dual Mic Models
Dual Mode in the Sphere plug-in makes possible phase-coherent mixing of multiple virtual mic models from the same physical microphone, before or after tracking. It's also possible to adjust the relative phase alignment of the two mics with the Align control.
Record In Stereo (With One Mic)
With just one Sphere L22 mic it’s possible to make coincident stereo recordings, and even have different mic models on the left and right channels, using the Sphere 180 plug-in.
- Sphere L22™ Microphone
- Equivalent Noise Level: 7 dB-A
- Max SPL at 0.5% THD: 140dB (with -20dB pad engaged)
- Pad Attenuation: -10db and -20dB
- Sensitivity: 22 mV/Pa
- Output Connector: 5-pin male XLR
- Breakout Cable: 10’ (3m) 5-pin female XLR to dual 3-pin male XLR
- Weight (mic only): 1.7 lbs. (770 grams)
- Dimensions (mic only): 8.9" x 2.5" (225mm x 63mm)
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: >1000 Ohms
- Phantom Power
- Voltage: 44 to 52 V per channel
- Current: 5 mA per channel typical, 8 mA at max SPL
Sphere® Core Plug-In
- Supported Plug-in Formats:
- AAX Native
- AAX DSP
- Audio Units (Mac only)
- Supported Operating Systems:
- Native (AAX, VST and AU):
- Mac OSX 10.8.5 and above
- Windows 7 and above
- Apollo Interfaces and UAD-2 hardware (AAX, VST, AU, and RTAS)
- Mac OSX 10.9.5 and above
- Windows 7 and above
- System Requirements:
- 4 GB of RAM
- 200 MB free disk space
- 1024 x 768 display resolution
- Internet connection to download software
- Two microphone preamplifiers with phantom power
- Compatible plug-in host application (DAW) software supporting AAX, VST2, VST3, AU or UAD.
- Current Microphone Models:
- LD-67 NOS
- LD-87 TK
- LD-414 Brass
- LD-414 Nylon
- LD-414 US
- LD-414 T2
- RB-77DX Satin
- RB-77DX Umber
- Sphere Linear