The ultimate stereo ribbon microphone
- An all-original one of a kind ribbon motor construction providing an extremely wide and balanced frequency response
- Custom, in house wound, toroidal transformer and active electronics
- Ideal for orchestral and choral recordings, overheads, room, string sections, horn sections, piano, acoustic guitar, and more
- High output level with optimal impedance matching and extremely low self-noise
- Open, transparent, natural sound with incredible depth and detail
- 100% handcrafted in Detroit, MI
The active version of the Model 2S
The Model 2AS is an active version of the Model 2S stereo ribbon microphone. The Model 2AS utilizes the same design features found in the Model 2S and offers the same unique sonic character. The microphone contains our signature motor structure and custom designed resonator plates to provide the incredibly extended, detailed, and 3D like response found in our Model 2, 2S, and 2A.
The Model 2AS’s high output is provided by custom, in house wound, toroidal transformers. These high turn ratio transformers are perfectly matched to the Model 2AS’s ribbon elements to provide optimal performance. The phantom powered electronics work as an impedance buffer and provide no additional gain or coloration to the sound. The result of this ideal impedance matching is 13 dB more output than the Model 2S and extremely low self-noise.
With its high output level, the Model 2AS will work perfectly with any preamplifier. Whether you are using an entry-level interface or a high end dedicated preamp, the Model 2AS will deliver stunning results. The Model 2AS shines on orchestral and choral recordings where low noise and high output is needed and is ideal for string sections, horn sections, piano, acoustic guitar, and so much more.
Whether you are using the Model 2AS in a Blumlein or M-S stereo configuration, the microphone's uniform polar frequency response and excellent off-axis frequency response will provide you with outstanding phase coherent stereo recordings. Solid phase compatibility between the two channels of the Model 2AS also allows the user to combine the two channels into a mono recording without any phase artifacts.
The Model 2AS is covered by a lifetime parts warranty and a free re-ribboning for the original owner within two years of purchase. The microphone ships with a heavy-duty waterproof case, shock mount, protective pouch, and a 30-foot 5-pin XLR female to dual 3-pin XLR male breakout cable.
- Directional Pattern: Dual Figure 8
- Frequency Range: 20-20 kHz and beyond
- Sensitivity: -40.2 dB (9.9 mV/Pa)
- Noise Floor: 11 db(A)
- Max SPL: 140dB SPL
- Output Impedance: 170 Ohms
- Ribbon Element: Dual ribbons orientated at 90 degrees
- Material: Pure Aluminum
- Thickness: 1.8 microns
- Length: 2 in
- Width: 0.23 in
- Height: 12.8 in
- Diameter: 1.25 in (top), 1.73 in (base)
- Weight: 425 g