This surprisingly affordable Neve 1073 preamp for API 500 Lunchbox nails it, if you need that sound you're in the right place!
The ’73 Jr is a chip off the old block, raised on Carnhill transformers and hand wired with care, it delivers the same massive tone as the 1073-500, in single 500 series space.
Following his successful big brother, the 1073/500, the new ´73JR is a mic preamp with some added features that will cover all the recording needs for engineers and musicians that don´t find the need to track with eq. Employing only discrete circuitry and conventional components, the ’73 junior is a faithful 3 stage all class A 1073 preamp. Styroflex and tantalum capacitors have been used throughout. No corners were cut.
A useful all discrete class A hi pass filter has been added, essential for recording everything especially for kick and bass.
The Line mode allows for reamping of prerecorded tracks and it´s perfect for adding some class A color to lifeless recordings.
The smart switched DI (automatically switches from MIC to DI mode when inserting a MONO ¼” jack) is an all discrete class A JFET circuit ahead of the MIC transformer, so all the juice is there.
Finally, special care has been taken with power handling, implementing internal +24v slow turn on regulation (about 20 sec to reach full voltage ).This makes your lunchbox PSU healthier and makes the 73JR independent of the rest of the slots.
Heritage Audio HA73JR Features
- 80dB Class A Microphone preamplifier, HI-LO selectable minimum input impedance, balanced and floating. High gain positions show a higher impedance, ideal for old ribbon mics.
- 50Db Class A Line preamplifier, bridging input impedance, balanced and floating.
- All discrete Class A Ultra High Impedance J-Fet Direct Input on a high quality Neutrik Jack. The DI circuit is ahead of the Mic Input transformer, so the transformer is ON when in DI mode. DI is automatically switched on when inserting a jack.
- Class A single ended, 2N3055 driven, high headroom output stage.
- PAD: 20dB Mic input attenuation ahead of the input transformer to avoid overloading it.
- HI PASS FILTER: Active all discrete Class A 3rd order Bessel, 80Hz Hi Pass Filter. 18dB/octave slope.
- OUTPUT control to allow overloading of the preamp.
- Internal slow turn-on +24v power supply for lower inrush current, which improves your lunchbox performance.
- Carnhill Input and Output transformers.
- 3 gain stage, genuine modular card construction. All active circuitry is on pluggable cards for easier service.
- Marconi style knobs and vintage style engraved pushbuttons.
Heritage Audio HA73JR Specifications
- Microphone input impedance: HI, 1200 Ohm minimum, LO, 300 Ohm minimum. Higher gain positions gradually have greater impedances, optimum for lo gain ribbon mics. Input is Carnhill transformer balanced and floating.
- Line input impedance: 10K Ohms bridging, Carnhill transformer balanced and floating.
- DI input impedance: Greater than 2 Megohms, unbalanced.
- Output impedance: Less than 75 Ohms, Carnhill transformer balanced and floating, to drive a load of 600 ohms (factory terminated).
- Maximum output: Greater than +26dBm into 600 ohms.
- THD: Less than 0.025% at 1 Khz, less than 0.05% at 100Hz.
- Frequency response: 20Hz ( +0.3dB ) to 20Khz (-0.2dB)
- Maximum gain: Slightly greater than 80dB
- Noise: Less than -100dBm.
- Power consumption: 88 mA per rail @+-16VDC.