Warm Audio WA-87 Stereo Pair
Stereo Pair of Solid State Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphones, Based on U87, Includes Wooden Box and both Hard and Shock Mounts
Stock Item: Ships from our shelf quickly in almost all cases when ordered before our ship cutoff times.
Direct Ship: Non-stock item, but normally ships quickly from the manufacturer or alternate warehouse.
Built To Order: Item is custom built per the options chosen and quickly shipped out upon completion.
Visit our Shipping Page for cutoff times for FREE (USA), USPS or FedEx.
The Warm Audio gang strikes again with their emulation of a classic at a fraction of the price!
- Sequentially numbered pair of WA-87 microphones*
- Pair of shock mounts
- Pair of hard mounts
- Pair of wooden storage boxes
- Pair of Mogami premium microphone cables with gold connectors, up to 25 foot
The classic ‘87 is arguably the most widely-used large diaphragm condenser microphone in pop recording history. Rather than base our WA-87 circuit on current incarnations of this mic, we decided to closely follow the early circuit designs that date back nearly half a century. As is true with many classic microphones, engineers who have worked with different versions of these microphones often prefer the warmer, more forgiving nature of the earlier commercially available models. The desire to re-introduce the warm tone of this classic mic at an affordable price to an all new generation of recording artists was the inspiration behind the WA-87.
Quality components make a better mic.
The WA-87 features all discrete, premium components such as Fairchild FETs, tantalum, polystyrene, and WIMA film capacitors, and is rounded off with a Cinemag USA output transformer. The WA-87 proudly uses our own Lens Kondensator custom reproduction of the classic K-87 dual backplate/dual diaphragm capsule, as found in early ‘87 mics.
It all starts with the microphone.
The importance of a good microphone cannot be understated; but unfortunately, finding a truly great microphone within a budget has always been a challenge for aspiring engineers. There are very usable microphones available for those on a budget; but top shelf, classic studio microphones have simply been out of reach for most people. We applied all that we know about bridging this barrier into crafting a microphone that reaches the level of quality and sonics mostly found only in top shelf products, yet sells for a price that is down to earth.
- Microphone includes shock mount, hard mount and wood box.
- Microphone type: condenser
- Polar patterns: cardioid, figure of eight, and omnidirectional
- Capsule: LK-87-B-50V reproduction of classic dual backplate (four wire termination) K87 capsule
- Diaphragm: 6 micron thickness, 1 inch diameter, gold sputtered membrane
- Frequency Response: 20hz - 20khz
- SPL: .5% THD at 120db (without pad) or 130db (with pad)
- Pad: -10db
- Output: 150 ohms, 24k gold plated, 3 pin XLR (pin 1 = gnd, pin 2 = +, pin 3 = -), Cinemag USA mic output transformer
- High Pass Filter: 80hz
- Noise: 15db self noise, 80db s/n ratio
- Color: nickel (painted)
*Sequentially numbered is normally not a problem, but sometimes Warm Audio sends us non-sequential numbered units from the same batch. We will always ship the closest numbers on hand and from the same batch build!
Our ONE WITH EVERYTHING ZEN WARRANTY adds a full year to the standard manufacturer warranty at no charge, see our ZEN WARRANTY page for details.